Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Last day in Paris

Charlotte left me early this morning....sad to see her and her french go... it was a little tough today. And I just missed her of course.
This is the view out the window of the place we are staying. "Newest" church in town....about 200 years old, hasn't even made it on the maps yet. So stunning.
This is Nate, the guy from Boston we met last night at the restaurant. He was touring around by himself today so we decided to travel alone together. Much better. Our first stop of the day was the Musee de Orsay. Many Parisians told us it was much better than the Louvre.

This was this huge ornate room, which of course looks not nearly as spectacular as it does here. It reminded me of something you would see in pride and prejudice with girls in poofy dresses swirling around. So pretty.

Monet
Another Monet - I really loved this one because it reminded me of Santa Barbara

Renoir
Degas
Henri Matisse... just to name a few. We also saw lots of Picssaro and Cezanne.

The museum is built in an old train station. This is a view of the atrium. From the museum we walked a ton to see the catacombes of Paris. When they were building the metro system they had to move tons of bodies from where they had been buried so they put all 6 million of these bodies in the catacombes under the city. We walked for 45 minutes or so to get there only to find they were closed for the next month due to some vandalism....blasted vandals. So we headed back to Notre Dame....
We climbed the 400 steps to the bell towers to see these beauties. Yikes!
We named this one Sprinkles.... hehe
It was really cool to see the city from above. It is huge!!! We have only been to one tiny piece of it. You could look in all directions and not see the end of it.

It was really nice to enjoy the view and also walk a bit in Quasimoto's shoes...

Nate and I split ways at this point. I rented a bike to ride home and then realized that I wanted to see the Arc de Trimph, so I rode bikes up the street where all the most expensive shops are to the Arc de Triumph....another monument to a successful battle by Napoleon. I have LOVED riding bikes around this town, probably one of my favorite things I have done here.
As I rode home I rode through this outdoor exhibit of all the vintage Vogue magazine covers. Pretty fun to see.
I finished off my ride watching the sun set over Paris. How dreamy! It has been an incredible trip. I am amazed at the beauty of this city. I'm off to Barcelona in the morning!
















2 comments:

Danielle said...

I had that Degas painting hanging in my room back home!! A little tinge of homesickness right then!

Fiagle Family said...

I am so jealouse of your adventures. It looks so amazing. .. and hot guy.. :)