Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas!

I worked on Christmas Eve, so when I got home we opened some small presents I had gotten for us...including these rad Union Jack socks and had crepes.
Then we headed out for a nice Christmas Day walk. It was a beautiful, crisp day. Tower Bridge is about 2 miles from my house so we walked there first. Such an impressive structure.

Then we headed back to St. Pauls to try and catch their Christmas Day choral service, much less crowded today since all London transport is down. Here we are on the massive church steps. I found out that these are the steps used in Mary Poppins where the bird lady sings "Feed the Birds"....cool!

The service was really amazing. An all male choir in long white robes sang some amazing music, none which was recognizable to me as christmas music. They did sing some christmas songs, but to tunes I didn't know. Mostly it was just amazing to be in a church of that magnitude and to hear the choir voices resonate through the church.

After St. Peters in Rome, this is the second largest church in the world.
We wandered home and met up with my roommates Nikki and Sarah and her boyfriend Jose and had a nice christmas roast and attempted to watch "Elf" but all fell asleep. It was nothing like being at home but it was a nice day.
We got to skype with mom and dad when Justin called from his mission. We chatted for about an hour and a half but it felt way too short. It was so good to hear his voice and hear his stories and experiences and just hear his personality too. He is so much fun and he really loves his mission! We of course sang "Families Can Be Together Forever" on the phone and had a family prayer which is the missionary phone call tradition. My family is one of my greatest blessings! I am glad they are mine forever.




No comments: