Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Birthday Extension

This morning while Charlie waited at my house for Lauren to arrive, Melanie and I went out for some adventures. We started off by going to King's Cross train station and I just popped over to Hogwarts for a sec. Haha!
We were wandering around confused trying to find this little passageway and a worker saw us and asked if we were looking for 9 3/4. Must be a lot of us Harry Potter fans.

The we went to the British Library which turned out to be way cooler than I expected. Here is a list of the best things we saw:
-The Magna Carta
-Lewis CArroll's original manuscript for "Alice in Wonderland"
-The original score for Handel's Messiah
-The Gutenberg bible
-Leonardo da Vinci's Notebooks
-The original manuscript of Charlotte Bronte's "Jane Eyre"
-Several Beatles songs scribbled on scraps of paper - Help, Yesterday, I want to hold your hand
-Original scores by Mozart
-Original manuscript of Jane Austin's "Persuasion"
And a lot of other really famous things.

While I haven't met many famous people in my life I have come in contact with tons of really famous things.
Next we went to Harrods. It is the most lavish department store I have ever been in. Here is the Egyptian hall.....just one example of the many splendors of this store. We spent a good amount of time wandering around their extensive food area where they had all kinds of really fancy foods for sale. Melanie took me into Laudree, which is a very famous and fancy sweet shop from France and we each got a macaroon - amazing! You think you have had all the yummy things in the world at this point in life, but no! There are amazing flavours out there yet to be discovered.


This is the bathroom where I am nonchalantly dabbing a bit of perfume on. Even the bathroom was amazing.
As a Harrods sovenier I found this really cute red patten leather Harrods purse. I love it so much....and it was on sale for only 12 pounds! Sometimes I think happiness is found in red accessories.
Next stop was the Tate Modern. We met up with Lauren and Charlie there. I must say that I don't really get modern art. Some of it is funky and some of it is just weird or plain and some of it is just really offensive.
This is a really famous sculpture called "The Kiss" by Rodin. Feels more classic than modern, which is probably why I like it.

This one I really liked, it made me think of what it would be like to be a two year old again....very cool. So we wandered around there for a while and "analyzed" the art and quizzed eachother on what we first thought of when we saw a piece of metal leaned up against a wall as one of the exhibits.

All that art talk made us hungry so we went and got some great italian food and chatted the nigth away. We must have sat there for at least two hours. We were probably being really obnoxious and laughing really loud, but we had a great time.








No comments: