Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Famous People of Yesterday and Today

This afternoon I went to the National Portrait Gallery. I didn't think it was going to be that interesting but it was cool to learn some of the history of England through the portraits and their descriptions as well as look into the faces of people like Jane austin, Charles Dickens and the Bronte sisters. I saw paintings of Henry VIII and his most famous wives. Catherine his first for whom he forsook catholicism so he could divorce her since she had not produced a male heir. I saw Anne Boelyn, his second wife who was eventually beheadded and her as well as his next 4 wives. Woah!

I saw William Shakespear and learned that he wore a gold hoop earring. I saw Sir Francis Drake who is one of the most famous seafarers in England. Turns out that not only was a good navigator, but also a good pirate. He pillaged spanish cities so much that it became a large reason why Phillip II decided to send the spanish Armada against the English in the 16th century. Who knew he was not just famous but infamous.

I also saw James Cook...who met his fate after many successful sea voyages when he was killed by Hawaiian natives who had previously worshiped him as a God....very interesting.

Among the other famous people there were Charles Darwin, Lord Kelvin (absolute Zero), James Joyce, Aldous Huxley, T.S. Eliot, Beatrix Potter, Winston Churchill, Alexander Flemming (the inventor of Penicillin) and even some more modern famous people like the stars of Harry Potter.
Turned out to be more interesting than expected.

As I started to walk toward London Bridge to work I saw this big crowd of screaming girls and decided to investigate. It was the world premier of the new Zach Effron movie "Me and Orson Wells", so I thought I would stick around and check it out. After a lot of screaming and waiting, the man of the hour came down the red carpet.

At first he was chatting with the media and doing his interviews.

Then the screams really got going when he came our way. I got quite a few elbows in the face as cameras went in to get the perfect shot.

It was really fun to see him in real life. I got my elbows in some peoples faces as well I'm sure.




No comments: